Posts for category: Orthodontics
For generations, the practice of orthodontics has corrected and optimized both oral function and facial appearance. Dr. Joseph Kizior is Western Springs' top expert in orthodontics, and he offers a wide variety of braces for patients of all ages. In a one-on-one evaluation, this highly experienced and well-respected dentist can tell you if braces will help your smile.
Who gets braces?
People of all ages and walks of life experience the benefits of straighter, healthier smiles through orthodontic correction. While the best age for placement and treatment with braces typically is between 10 and 14 (according to the American Academy of Orthodontics), many college-age people and adults well into middle age opt to correct dental and jaw alignment issues through many kinds of braces, such as:
- Conventional metal or ceramic braces
- Clear cosmetic braces
- Lingual, or tongue-side braces
- Palatal expanders (to widen the jaw)
- Clear aligners (Dr. Kizior offers EZ-Align)
These customized appliances gradually move teeth into positions which eliminate bite issues (such as open bite, overbite, and underbite), gaps, crowding, overjet, tooth tipping, and rotation. Orthodontics is also recommended to patients who have jaw development and alignment issues, too, as it will create oral-facial balance and optimal functionality of teeth, gums, bone structure, muscles, and ligaments.
Additionally, the best candidates for braces practice diligent oral hygiene. Teeth should be in good general health and free of extensive decay and gum disease.
What does treatment involve?
You can expect a complete oral examination, including X-rays, three-dimensional scans (as needed), and precise oral impressions. Your unique care plan will include progress checks by Dr. Kizior in addition to:
- Careful home hygiene habits (flossing once a day and brushing twice a day on top of any special care your appliances may need)
- Your usual six-month oral hygiene visits and examinations with your dentist
- Some dietary restrictions if you wear metal, ceramic, or lingual braces
- Wearing a fixed bonded or removable retainer after completion of treatment
Find out more
If you'd love to flash a beautifully straight smile and reap the wonderful oral health benefits brought along with it, contact Dr. Joseph Kizior at his Western Springs office today. Phone (708) 246-1000 for your consultation appointment. We're open Monday through Friday 9 am to 5 pm.
It’s time to figure out what orthodontic treatment will best fit your needs.
No matter whether you are seven years old or an adult, it’s never too late to get braces and our Western Springs, IL, orthodontist Dr. Joseph Kizior makes this possible by providing a variety of different orthodontic treatment options. We know that our patients are all looking for different things when it comes to braces, and our ultimate goal is to get you the straight smile you want.
Here are the most common types of braces:
- Traditional metal braces
- Ceramic/transparent braces
- Lingual braces
- Clear aligners
Despite all the different kinds of braces out there today, traditional braces will always be around because they are often the best and most efficient way to fix a variety of misalignments and dental problems. The look and feel of this metal bracket-and-wire system has gotten quite a makeover through the years and they are now sleeker and more lightweight than ever before.
Who should consider traditional braces?
- Patients with more severe malocclusions (“bad bites”)
- Patients that require more complicated tooth movements
These braces work the same way that traditional braces do. The only difference is that instead of stainless steels brackets, our Western Springs, IL, orthodontist will create these brackets from a clear or tooth-colored material so they are less visible when bonded to the front of your teeth.
Who should consider ceramic braces?
- Patients looking for a more discreet orthodontic treatment
- Patients who are dedicated to keeping their braces clean (as poor hygiene can lead to visible discolorations)
- Patients willing to spend a bit more for a more visibly discreet orthodontic system
Imagine getting metal braces but having them bonded to the back surface of your teeth instead of the front. This system is one of the least noticeable options for patients who need to straighten their smiles. Of course, because they are bonded to the back of your teeth they aren’t right for everyone including those with underbites. Some drawbacks are that the braces could affect your speech or irritate your tongue.
Who should consider lingual braces?
- Patients looking to hide their orthodontic treatment
- Patients who are okay with paying a little more for their braces
- Patients with good oral hygiene who will brush and floss their teeth and braces properly
Most people think of this type of orthodontic treatment and immediately think of Invisalign. Of course, there are a variety of different orthodontic systems that use clear, plastic aligners that are custom-made to fit over your upper and/or lower teeth to move them into the proper position. These aligners can treat a variety of minor-to-moderate malocclusions.
Who should consider clear aligners?
- Older teens and adults who are dealing with misalignments in their smile
- Patients who aren’t dealing with more complicated tooth movements
- Patients looking for a subtle, nearly invisible approaching to a straighter smile
- Patients dedicated to wearing their aligners for the majority of the day
- Patients who are dedicated to keeping their aligners clean and stain-free
If you are interested in getting braces for you or your child in Western Springs, IL, then it’s the perfect time to call our office today to schedule a consultation.