For generations, the practice of orthodontics has corrected and optimized both oral function and facial appearance. Dr. Joseph Kizior is Western Springs' top expert in orthodontics, and he offers a wide variety of braces for patients of all ages. In a one-on-one evaluation, this highly experienced and well-respected dentist can tell you if braces will help your smile.
Who gets braces?
People of all ages and walks of life experience the benefits of straighter, healthier smiles through orthodontic correction. While the best age for placement and treatment with braces typically is between 10 and 14 (according to the American Academy of Orthodontics), many college-age people and adults well into middle age opt to correct dental and jaw alignment issues through many kinds of braces, such as:
- Conventional metal or ceramic braces
- Clear cosmetic braces
- Lingual, or tongue-side braces
- Palatal expanders (to widen the jaw)
- Clear aligners (Dr. Kizior offers EZ-Align)
These customized appliances gradually move teeth into positions which eliminate bite issues (such as open bite, overbite, and underbite), gaps, crowding, overjet, tooth tipping, and rotation. Orthodontics is also recommended to patients who have jaw development and alignment issues, too, as it will create oral-facial balance and optimal functionality of teeth, gums, bone structure, muscles, and ligaments.
Additionally, the best candidates for braces practice diligent oral hygiene. Teeth should be in good general health and free of extensive decay and gum disease.
What does treatment involve?
You can expect a complete oral examination, including X-rays, three-dimensional scans (as needed), and precise oral impressions. Your unique care plan will include progress checks by Dr. Kizior in addition to:
- Careful home hygiene habits (flossing once a day and brushing twice a day on top of any special care your appliances may need)
- Your usual six-month oral hygiene visits and examinations with your dentist
- Some dietary restrictions if you wear metal, ceramic, or lingual braces
- Wearing a fixed bonded or removable retainer after completion of treatment
Find out more
If you'd love to flash a beautifully straight smile and reap the wonderful oral health benefits brought along with it, contact Dr. Joseph Kizior at his Western Springs office today. Phone (708) 246-1000 for your consultation appointment. We're open Monday through Friday 9 am to 5 pm.